Thursday, February 4, 2010

Counting Coins

If you've been practicing counting coins with your child, you've probably noticed something fishy going on! I teach the children to count each "silver"-colored coin by 5s and then to count the pennies. When counting this way, the students only have to switch between counting by 5s to counting by 1s. Before you think I'm crazy, let me tell you that I learned this strategy from a seasoned and very experienced first grade teacher for whom I have great admiration and respect. THIS STRATEGY WORKS! Count the quarter 5 times (once for each of GW's hairs). Count the dime twice (for each Mickey Mouse ear that FDR wears). Count the nickel once because Jefferson is the only one on "silver" wearing clothes, and then count the pennies. If your child does well in math and has demonstrated fluency in counting by 10s, 5s and 1s, please feel free to work with him/her on counting coins the "usual way". Otherwise, trust me. This is the first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment